We conducted the opinion survey to visualize the voices of Myanmar people in Myanmar that have not yet reached the world.
〈Subject of the survey〉Myanmar employees in 10 Japanese companies in Yangon
〈Period〉20 -24 April 2021
〈Supervision〉Prof. Nemoto Kei from Sophia University (specializes in modern and current history of Myanmar)
〈Planning/Execution〉Japanese involved in Myanmar business (Anonymous for security reasons)
This page is an outline excerpt.
The PDF version contains all the reason comments (the real voices of 145 Myanmar people in Myanmar).
We also surveyed Japanese business persons from Japanese companies in Myanmar. Please take a look at it as well.
Here are the results of the survey. (38 questions)
3. Education History
4. Have you lived in Japan?
5. Japanese skill
6. How many years have you worked in Japanese companies in total?
7. Current position
8. Why did you choose a Japanese company?
Acceptance of the coup
9. How would you rate the Thein Sein government in 2011-2015?
10. How would you rate the Daw Suu Kyi government in 2015-2020?
11. Which political party do you support?
12. Did you vote in the November 2020 election?
13. How do you view the coup?
14. Do you think there were serious fraud in the 2020 election, as the junta claims?
15. Which protest campaigns have you participated?
16. Do you support CDM?
17. Do you think that the CDM strike should continue?
18. Do you support CRPH & NUG?
19. Which do you think the current legitimate government in Myanmar?
20. Are there any options that you can compromise on?
21. What would you do if there will be recruitment for federal army to resist?
22. If the junta takes power for years, will you move abroad?
Expectations of the Japanese companies
23. What do you think Japanese companies doing joint projects with the Myanmar government or agencies should do?
24. What do you think Japanese companies have direct relationships (deal or joint businesses) with the military or related companies should do?
25. What do you think Japanese companies have indirect relationships (e.g., as part of supply chain) with the military or related companies should do?
26. What do you think Japanese companies have no relationships with the military, related companies or Myanmar government should do?
Expectations of the International Community
27. Do you want the international community to impose sanctions?
28. Would you like to see armed intervention by the UN or a multinational coalition?
29. Which foreign country or organization do you most expect to help?
Expectations of the Japanese Government
30. Would you like the Japanese government to impose sanctions?
31. What would you like the Japanese government to do with [ongoing] official aid (ODA) to the Myanmar government?
32. Which [ongoing] ODA would you like to be stopped?
33. What would you like the Japanese government to start [new] official aid (ODA) to the Myanmar government?
34. Which [new] ODA would you like to be stopped?
35. What do you expect the Japanese government?
36. How do you rate the response and message by the Japanese government and the embassy since the coup?
Impressions of foreign countries
37. [Before the Coup] Impressions of foreign countries
38. [Since the Coup] Impressions of foreign countries
Compared with Japanese’ responses
Finally, here is a comparison between the survey of Japanese persons related to Myanmar business and the Myanmar employees' responses to common questions.
Please visit the survey with Japanese business persons (30 questions).
Survey of Japanese Companies in Myanmar [with Japanese business persons]
We conducted the opinion survey to visualize Japanese people's diverse opinions and voices involved in Myanmar…
Please take a look at the PDF version with the respondent’s comments.
Request for your cooperation
We live in Myanmar and cannot actively spread the information on SNS due to the risk of being detained. However, we would like to let as many people as possible know about the voices of the people in Myanmar, so please help us spread the information.
(You can freely reprint or quote this article. The graphs have been converted into images, so please feel free to use them.)
For inquiries regarding this survey, please contact the email address listed on the last page of the PDF version.
Survey results in Japanese.（日本語版はこちら）
Japanese companies' employees in Myanmar favor economic sanctions - The Mainichi
YANGON (Kyodo) -- Most employees of Japanese companies in Myanmar want Japan to impose some form of economic sanctions…
Myanmar's Japanese Business Community Says Japan 'too considerate' to Junta
A survey of Japanese business people based in Myanmar reveals that they believe that Japan's response to the coup and…
【独自】ミャンマー人の９割超「日本は経済制裁すべき」...日系企業勤務者に意識調査 : 国際 : ニュース
日本に9割がミャンマー制裁要望 現地日系企業の従業員 ｜ 共同通信