Survey of Japanese Companies in Myanmar [with Japanese business persons]
We conducted the opinion survey to visualize Japanese people's diverse opinions and voices involved in Myanmar business.
〈Subject of the survey〉Japanese of Japanese companies in Myanmar
・Mainly expatriates, entrepreneurs, representatives of local subsidiaries, locally hired employees.
・Includes those who have been evacuated from Myanmar due to the covid19 and coup.
〈Period〉12 -18 April 2021
〈Supervision〉Prof. Nemoto Kei from Sophia University (specializes in modern and current history of Myanmar)
〈Planning/Execution〉Japanese involved in Myanmar business (Anonymous for security reasons)
This page is an outline excerpt.
The PDF version contains all the reason comments (the real voices of 135 Japanese people involved in Myanmar).
We also surveyed Myanmar people working for Japanese companies. Please take a look at it as well.
Here are the results of the survey. (30 questions)
- Where do you live now?
2. How long have you lived in Myanmar?
3. What’s your occupation?
4. How does your company relate to the ODA project?
5. How many Myanmar staff does your company employ?
6. How long has your company worked in Myanmar?
7. What is the size of your company in Japan?
Business situation and response
8. What was the business result for March 2021?
9. What is your company’s response since the coup?
10. Do you think your company is sufficiently expressing its opinions on current issues in Myanmar?
11. What are the main reasons for inadequacy?
12. Do you feel that your company was not properly aware of country risks when you entered Myanmar?
Response of Japanese companies
13. What do you think Japanese companies doing joint projects with the Myanmar government or agencies should do?
14. What do you think companies have direct relationships with the military or related companies should do?
15. What do you think companies have indirect relationships with the military or related companies should do?
16. What do you think companies have no relationships with the military, related companies or Myanmar government should do?
17. Do you think that Japanese companies as a whole are expressing their opinions sufficiently on current issues in Myanmar?
18. Do you think that the Japanese government’s own stance of dialogue with the military should be continued?
19. Do you think Japan should impose sanctions to cooperate with Western countries?
20. Do you think the military will depend more on China if Japan gets tough on the military or starts an official dialogue with CRPH?
21. Do you think that Japan’s interests will be harmed if Japan gets tough on the military or starts an official dialogue with CRPH?
22. What do you expect the Japanese government?
23. What do you think the Japanese government should do with ongoing ODA projects?
24. Which ongoing ODA should be stopped?
25. What do you think the Japanese government should do with new ODA projects?
26. Which new ODA should be stopped?
27. (who chose ODA should be stopped) Do you think that should be stated?
28. What do you think of the Japanese government’s and embassy’s response to the military after the coup?
29. How do you think the response and communication of the Japanese government and embassies to Japanese residents and companies in Myanmar since the coup?
30. Do you think the response and communication of the Japanese government and embassy since the coup has been evaluated by the people of Myanmar?
Compared with Myanmar employees’ responses
Finally, here is a comparison between the Myanmar employees’ survey and the Japanese responses to common questions.
Please visit the survey with Myanmar employees (38 questions).
Survey of Japanese Companies in Myanmar [with Myanmar employees]
We conducted the opinion survey to visualize the voices of Myanmar people in Myanmar that have not yet reached the…
Please take a look at the PDF version with the respondent’s comments.
Request for your cooperation
We live in Myanmar and cannot actively spread the information on SNS due to the risk of being detained. However, we would like to let as many people as possible know about the voices of the people in Myanmar, so please help us spread the information.
(You can freely reprint or quote this article. The graphs have been converted into images, so please feel free to use them.)
For inquiries regarding this survey, please contact the email address listed on the last page of the PDF version.
Survey results in Japanese.（日本語版はこちら）
Japanese companies' employees in Myanmar favor economic sanctions - The Mainichi
YANGON (Kyodo) -- Most employees of Japanese companies in Myanmar want Japan to impose some form of economic sanctions…
Myanmar's Japanese Business Community Says Japan 'too considerate' to Junta
A survey of Japanese business people based in Myanmar reveals that they believe that Japan's response to the coup and…
【独自】ミャンマー人の９割超「日本は経済制裁すべき」...日系企業勤務者に意識調査 : 国際 : ニュース
日本に9割がミャンマー制裁要望 現地日系企業の従業員 ｜ 共同通信